1.17.2012

today



Today was Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, as you know. The temperatures have plummeted in San Francisco, and you know us, it doesn't take much to encourage us to hang back. 


I agree that the best way to honor MLK, Jr. today would've been in the act of service, in some way or another. That didn't happen, but we didn't spend a dime today, which I always feel is a righteous move anytime I can pull that off. And an acquaintance of ours shared an engaging short animated video about MLK, Jr., one that helped reinforce with animation what Stella had been learning about in school (you can find that here).


Stella's class has been preparing three songs for upcoming Black History Month celebrations: "We Shall Overcome", "Blowin' in the Wind", and "Buffalo Soldier". I can tell she is very moved by the first two selections, while the latter leaves her mystified. We tried to break it down for her this weekend, but she is still thrown off by the sound of the original recording. Have we not played reggae for her before? Really? I doubt it.


Today was nice. And lucky us, another three day weekend next week with the arrival of Chinese Lunar New Year!


 Fourteen grams decaf, eight grams "caf". 

 Waiting for breakfast. I swear I can see a little mustache starting already.

 Windy's peach jam. Delicious!

 Hours of Play-Doh. This is a little hypocritical of me. We have a "no new plastic" rule in our house, with Playmobil, and apparently Play-Doh being the exception to the rule. These novelty kits make me want to play.








 Stella is truly obsessed with Tintin.

 Lap nap.

 Somehow at dinner Stella came up with the idea to start her own blog, and wrote two blog entries before bed time (I inserted the photos she took). She was loving it. I had to cut her off.



Stella's also taking some of the bedtime story duties on now. Wow, time flies.






14 comments:

  1. I need to do the decaf/mix trick since I'm now addicted to caffeine, again... I've gone through caffeine free periods in my life and felt great but somehow I always get sucked back in (I love coffee for one thing, everything about it from the aroma to the how pretty coffee beans are, as evidenced in your pretty pic). I love that she's blogging, so cool! You can pick up so many wonderful skills from blogging...most of us are one woman shows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to have a full cup of caffeinated coffee every day, but still nursing, so that would kill the already tenuous nap situation. My husband is the biggest coffee snob, which is why I have to go through all that rigamarole when he's not home to make one cup!

      Stella tried again last night, but got frustrated that it wasn't as good as the night before and ended up in tears. We'll try again in a few days!

      Delete
  2. I love those pajamas!
    Uh-Oh! Another blogger in the family! You girls will have fun having that in common! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He loves them too! Stella is fantasizing about blogging side by side with me. So cute.

      Delete
  3. Your day looked perfect, absolutely perfect! Looks like your oldest (Stella) is wanting to be a lot like her mom and isn't that the ultimate compliment?!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS the ultimate compliment! It's a nice change from "your teeth are yellow" or "you have dandruff", her usual critiques. ;)

      Delete
  4. I love that your daughter is wearing skeleton PJs. And the Play-Dough nostalgia I'm feeling right now. Seems like a fabulous day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenn! That's my son Oliver, actually! Maybe it is time to get that hair cut. I'm sure Grammie would be happy! :)

      Delete
  5. What a lovely day, from the coffee beans to the bedtime story. Sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a freakin' ADORABLE blogger! I love how intent she is. I wanted my step-daughter to start a blog (me and her mom blog) but her mom would not allow it. Dang!

    The play-doh is tooo cool. How do you keep them from mashing the colors together. I hate when that happens.

    I think this is a fantastic day inside. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I threw out a lot of Play-Doh that day. Oliver is really great at mixing it, then leaving it somewhere to harden without me knowing.

      I have mixed feelings about Stella "blogging". I am not sure if she'll stick to it, so I'm not too worried, yet. But in general I would like her to remain offline and a luddite as long as she can. I can see how a blog would make an interesting project for some high school subjects, but I appreciate keeping her offline, for sure.

      Delete
  7. My daughter has a blog too - http://coloringbookcenter.blogspot.com/ - she hasn't posted much though. I think blogging is great for kids! We love play-doh too! What was for lunch - looks yummy! Back too school today : (

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just checked her blog out and left a comment. Super cute!

      The lunch was just some garden burgers dipped in ketchup, but they were pretty tasty! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...